|BD Osteoporosis Clinic is located in GADING PLUIT Hospital. It is a facility to check the bone mineral density and using the latest bone densitometry GE lunar prodigy bone densitometry.
WHAT IS OSTEOPOROSIS?
It is a bone disease that is characterized by a decrease in bone mass and density which can lead to an increased risk of fracture
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS OF OSTEOPOROSIS?
• Women, old age; family history of osteoporosis
• inactive lifestyle, underweight, less calcium intake
• smoking, alcohol consuming
• some medical condition and medicinal use of certain drugs
HOW TO KNOW THAT YOU ARE HAVING A LOW BONE DENSITY?
By using the bone densitometry to check your bone mineral density (BMD) level.
| HOW THE PATIENT WILL BE POSITIONED ON THE BONE DENSITOMETRY?
• AP Spine:
The patient is lying down in a supine position with both of his hands on the side of his body. A special cushion will support the legs.
• Dual Femur:
The patient is lying down in a supine position with both of his hands on the chest. A special metal device will be attached between the lower parts of the legs.
• AP Forearm:
The patient is sitting down on a special cushion. The forearm will be attached on a special board.
THE ADVANTAGES OF THIS BONE DENSITY EXAMINATION COMPARED BY OTHER RADIOLOGY EXAMINATION
• Doesn’t use special preparation (e.g.: the using of contrast in the MRI examination)
• Able to see the risk of having bone fracture in the next 10 years (FRAX)
BD Osteoporosis Clinic also provides:
• Total Body Bone Density
• Total Body Tissue Quantitation (Tissue, Fat, Obesity)
• Morphometry Spine Fracture
• Ortho Bone Density (Bone Density with Implant)
WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE OF BMD?
Anyone may go for BMD examinations, and the minimum age for children is 5 years old. There are no special preparations needed. Patient could just walk in and have the examination or by bringing the reference form from the doctor.
This examination will take approximately 10-20 minutes long and there is no side effect.
For INFORMATION and REGISTRATION, please contact: BD Osteoporosis Clinic Ext. 28705